Monday, July 22, 2013

Good Reading Habits (transfer post)


Recently I have started teaching my 3 year old to read. I have taught English Language Arts for 8 years, but it was all at the secondary level. I have never taught a child to read words, phonics, blends, phonemes... This is not my comfort level.

I have always felt that reading was very important. My son has had at least one book read to him every day of his life. He has memorized easy books and is able to"read" them to people. He loves to show that he can read. Two weeks ago my mom, also an educator, brought me a book from her school library, "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" by Engelmann, Haddox, and Bruner. We are on lesson 14 and I am shocked at what my kiddo is doing! His favorite part is to read the story, which is only 3 words at this point, and then to explain how the story and the picture are related.

I am not sure where he will be on lesson 100, but I feel that for a 3 year old he is doing fantastic! We are doing our reading lesson every night and my hope is that we are instilling good reading habits for our family. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment