Wednesday, October 9, 2024

A Calling in Leadership

 When was the last time you were moved to emotion during professional development? I can’t say it has ever happened, until this past week. I was able to attend a Women’s in Educational Leadership k12 through Harvard University. I did not really know what to expect when I arrived, I mean Harvard…it carries respect. I have been looking at this class for a while and this year had the courage to apply. This class covered topics such as negotiations, Family engagement in schools, redefining yourself as you age, immigration, and much more. These sessions were taught by professors from many different colleges within Harvard. The women I was learning with were from all over the world and represented many leadership roles throughout school districts, both public and private. The honesty and vulnerability we all had with each other were so powerful! The superintendent down to the many principals in the room all came with the same goal- to learn with and through each other. Between the various backgrounds of the participants and the diverse experiences of the professors, we were able to gain perspective from these different viewpoints which added a layer of discussion that had me really thinking about my practice. 

This class was not solely focused on women, education, or even a specific type of leader. These classes were designed for people who identify with these categories. Did I feel a man would learn a lot in these courses? Yes. Would a man have felt attacked in these courses? I don’t believe so. We discussed the role women have in education and in leadership, we discussed the framework that is currently in place, and we discussed how we should respond to the constraints of the system. One of my favorite quotes from the course is, “ It isn’t your responsibility to finish the fight, but it is your responsibility to take up the fight.” I missed who was credited with the thought, but I loved the idea that the pressure to ‘fix’ the system isn’t mine alone. My job is to make gains for all; I strive for an equitable experience for all. 

The passion that was lit inside me is contagious, I have already had colleagues reach out asking about the training and if we can meet up to discuss all that I have learned. I have also reached out to a colleague to enroll her into my new plan. My social media presence documented my travels and my friends seemed to really enjoy the learning “tidbits” I shared each day.  I feel I am being called to do more, teach others, and guide others to be their best- outside of my role. I am thinking about what this will look like: “How can I make it accessible to anyone who wants to learn with me?,”  “How can I meet the different needs of people who might be interested in learning a few new strategies?” “ How do I get approval to do this within the district?” The ideas are swirling in my mind and I can’t wait to sit down at my (with my big monitor) and map out a plan. 

I really feel this is a point in my life where I will look back and see it as a catalyst moment for me. One where I am stepping out of my comfortable role and putting myself out there as the instructional leader and supporter I am. To show my strengths and skills, which is always better than telling them.

 Watch out world….Growth is happening! 


1 comment:

  1. Your passion, your courage, and your love for what you do will lead you through the unknowns. I’ve personally witnessed all of those traits in action, as you moved from secondary to elementary, as you poured into your teachers to become leaders, and as you opened a new campus and created a culture of support. I have no doubt that you will leave no stone unturned as you navigate through this journey to a new level professional success. Go get it, friend!

    ReplyDelete